NebulaHouse was waking up on Easter morning and after hunting for eggs with some kids that showed up, we rolled up our sleeves to make pancakes (as you do after children have gorged themselves on chocolate). Since Gideon, our resident Foodie Cat, was so happy with Isadora’s delicious banana pancake recipe we thought we might try a more “glamorous” pancake. We asked two and a half year old Ezra — (the newest NebulaHouse Kid and an Italian American) what kind of pancake he thought Gideon would like. Ezra said ‘misu’ pancakes… we figured out that meant ‘TIRAMISU.’ Yay!
Equipped with an Italian’s well stocked kitchen andan American sense of adventure in all things culinary, we came up with this delicious recipe sure to please Foodie Cats and Kids around the globe.
**Attention! Make sure to withhold the coffee when giving this to kids… especially after the candy binges of Easter morning (use Chicory based coffee substitutes.). ****Handfuls are based on the average-sized 8-year old’s hands and equal about ¼ cup per handful.
GIDEON’S SOON-TO-BE FAMOUS TIRAMISU PANCAKES
- 8 big handfuls of flour (we like oat or chickpea flour)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda½ teaspoon of cinnamona dash of salt
Mix all these things together in a bowl and put this bowl to the side. This is your dry ingredient bowl.
- 2 tablespoons of sugar (or double that amount of honey if you prefer)
- 1 cup of buttermilk
- ½ cup strong coffee
- 2 tsp. instant espresso
- 1 tsp. liquid vanilla extract (or a packet of vanilla sugar)
- 2 medium eggs
- 2 tbsp. vegetable oil
- 3 handfuls of semi-sweet chocolate chips (you can make it 4 handfuls if you
In a separate bowl, called the ‘wet ingredient bowl,’ whisk eggs and honey (or sugar) together, then add the vanilla and instant espresso. Do not over mix! Next, whisk in buttermilk, coffee and vegetable oil.
Once all of those are mixed in add the dry ingredients one handful at a time mixing with each handful. Finally, stir in the chocolate chips. Tiramisu pancake batter! Ta da da!
Gut gemacht! Well done! ‘Ben Fatto!’
Now, we need to make something to put in between the pancakes when we stack them!
In Between Filling:
- 3 more handfuls of chocolate chips
- 6 tablespoons of marscarpone cheese
- 2 handfuls of powdered sugar
Here is something to go on top! Gideon thinks that life wouldn’t be half as interesting without whipped cream. We agree.
What Goes on Top:
- 5 handfuls of whipped cream (just kidding! Use the whole container)
- Cocoa powder to sprinkle on top
- Syrup if you want, but really? With all this other stuff on top? Who needs it?
OK that’s our last pancake for a while. The Italian Editor has put a stop to the American Editor’s obsession with pancakes – even if Gideon thinks pancakes are ‘divino’! And oh! Close Your Eyes Gideon – Gideon the Foodie Cat’s first adventure is out now in English! Download it here.